Medicine is a human activity full of joy.
“To step away from yourself and help patients.” This is the happiness of the physician, and the patient’s as well. We physicians spend our time thinking hard about how we can solve the problems faced by patients. This is not an easy task, but there is a clear reward. You may be able to bring happiness to the patients sitting in front of you, and these repeated efforts will provide happiness to the next patient, and the next. That is also one immediate joy the physician can experience.
However, not everything goes well as it should, and physicians can sometimes become frustrated with their daily medical care. This, however, is when the seeds of research are germinated. Medicine progresses through accumulated research, but there are still many areas that have been left behind. Medical research, which has tried to advance those areas, is indeed fraught with difficulty. However, we can gain that joy once more by coming up with meaningful answers.
As we gradually develop into the position of leadership, we will also be able to experience the joy of seeing those under us grow as well.
Medicine can give us opportunities for happiness, in all sorts of situations. In the Division of Hematology, Rheumatology and Respiratory Medicine at Kagawa University Hospital, we are doing everything we can to help our staff and our patients turn these opportunities into energy for tomorrow, as we work on clinical medicine, research, and education.
As we provide joy to as many patients as possible, we hope that younger generations of physicians will also join us.
- Graduated Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine
- Junior Resident, Tenri Hospital
- Senior Resident, Tenri Hospital (Internal Medicine Rotation Course)
- Graduate student, Department of Hematopathology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University
- Researcher, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University
- Post-doctoral fellow, DNAX Research Institute (USA)
- Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine I, (now Department of Hematology and Oncology), Kyoto University Hospital
- Lecturer, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University
- Associate Professor, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University
- Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology, Rheumatology and Respiratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University